Library - General information
Scientific Information and Library Department
Profile: oceanology; marine biology and ecology; marine geology and archeology; coastal zone dynamics; diving systems and technologies; oceanic engineering.
A library fund, including more than 10 000 volumes of books, serials and periodicals, dissertations, archives of the institute’s work, etc., is available in the Scientific Information and Library Department.
Nowadays, the Institute of Oceanology is actively involved and relies mostly on modern forms of information provision and access to databases.
The Library of the Institute of Oceanology is a member of the European Association of Aquatic Sciences Libraries and Information Centers (EURASLIC) www.euraslic.org and the International Association of Aquatic Sciences Libraries and Information Centers (IAMSLIC) www.iamslic.org. Membership in these organizations provides a free international interlibrary loan of scientific articles published in journals owned by the member libraries or to which they have online access. Thanks to the developed networks IAMSLIC Distributed Library Z39.50 and EURASLIC ILL Mailing List, obtaining copies of articles is done quickly and efficiently as the order fulfillment is almost one hundred percent.
The Library of IO is also a member of the Bulgarian Library and Information Association (BLIA). As part of the library network of the Central Library of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, IO has an access to the electronic databases subscribed by BAS, BIC and MES.
The Library of IO is involved in the following international projects directly related to the exchange of literature, information and data:
- ODINECET (Ocean Data and Information Network for European Countries in Economic Transition);
- ECET Union Catalogue of Serials (Union List of serials available at the EURASLIC ECET group aquatic libraries);
- CEEMaR (Central and Eastern European Marine Repository);
- Cambridge Scientific Abstracts – ASFA/FAO database.
The Head of the Scientific Information and Library Department is an internationally recognized professional who holds leading positions in the associations of aquatic sciences libraries and information centers:
– EURASLIC Vice-President (2020-2021)
– EURASLIC President (2011 – 2015)
– Member of IAMSLIC Executive Board (2011 – 2015)
– EURASLIC Executive Secretary (2003 – 2011)
– EURASLIC Newsletter Editor (since 2003)
– Member of ASFA Executive Board (2009-2017)
– IODE National Coordinator for Marine Information Management (since 2005).
The highly prestigious positioning of IO in the international network of aquatic sciences libraries and information centers and the active participation of the Scientific Information and Library Department in the international exchange of specialized literature ensure that the scientists in IO receive the necessary information to carry out their research work.
Institute of Oceanology
Parvi mai Blvd, 40
Telephone: (+359) 52 37 04 86 int. 116